Skip to main content

Book Review: Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and his Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami

     This is one of those books that demands to be discussed.  I know because after my boyfriend lent it to me and I finished it, I called him immediately.  I wanted to talk about two aspects of the story in particular - its tip-of-the-iceberg character development and its web of seemingly random but of course meaningful details.
Me and the boyfriend who lent me the book
     Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki follows the title character's quest to understand, in his early thirties, why his four beloved high school friends cut him off while he was in college.  Their rejection of him was sudden, mysterious, and brutal, casting him into a suicidal depression.  Years after the depression has ended, Tsukuru still feels scarred by the rejection.  He believes in his heart that he is empty, isolated, colorless, and unable to fully connect with others.  But when he meets Sara, a woman to whom he feels inexplicably drawn, he realizes that he must confront his past and his four former friends in order to pursue a serious relationship with her.
     Sara, however, is not your average plot device masquerading as a two-dimensional female character.  She wears exquisite, professional outfits.  She prefers intimate, unpretentious bistros.  She's forthright about what she wants.  She has a successful career working for a travel agency.  She keeps her personal life private.  She always orders dessert.
     Furthermore, Sara does not come into Tsukuru's life and magically make him happy.  Instead, she tells him that, if he wants a sexual relationship with her, he must resolve issues from his past that may cause problems between them in the future.  He must help himself in order to have a chance with her.
     Tsukuru really knows very little about Sara; they only go on a few dates over the course of the entire book.  But much more is hinted at in her careful choice of clothes and the care she takes in entering a relationship, among other things.  She, like every other character in this book, has a complete life apart from Tsukuru's experience of the world, with anxieties, passions, and preferences of her own.  It was refreshing to read a book written from the male perspective featuring complex female characters like Sara.
     It was also refreshing and exciting to dissect the web of unusual symbols that appear in this story.  Colors (and colorlessness), train stations, sixth fingers, cars, and specific pieces of classical music, among others, appear repeatedly throughout Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki.  I don't know how these symbols connect to one another, but I can feel the cohesion, as though taut strands linked these random things to one another and to the story's core.  Haruki Murakami's symbols, like his characters, are minimal but more deeply meaningful for it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Junkie Metaphors and Books About Our Inner Crazy

    So, recently I was doing a spot of (mandatory) community service for my gym teacher when I experienced a rare instance of karmic payoff.      Me and a bunch of other temporary bond-slaves were unloading this huge file cabinet onto the gym floor, sorting everything from Dance Revolution DVDs to pamphlets on Your First Visit to the Ob-Gyn! into neat piles, when I uncovered quite by chance a crumbling copy of Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs.  Elated, I carried it around for the remainder of the period until my teacher took pity on me and offered to let me borrow it. It's falling apart before my very eyes I swear...      I fell in love with this book the moment I heard its title quite a while ago - Naked Lunch ?  What the hell kind of weird awesome twisted name is that?  I am only now realizing how twisted it really is.  The book is a compilation of notes that Burroughs took while under the sick influence of heroin.  It is rife with disgusting sex scenes and metaphors for

My Irrelevant Opinion on Teen Dystopias

     I read books indiscriminately.  I am just as happy reading  Beowulf, a crusty old Scandinavian epic poem, as I am reading  The Fault in Our Stars  by John Green.  So I'm not a snob who only reads first-edition classics bound in leather or anything like that.  But I do have one requirement when it comes to the books I read and recommend, and that is that they be good .  And I do see a problem emerging in one of YA's most popular new genres, the teen dystopian novel, and that is that many of these books are not good.      The dystopia craze started, I believe, with the success of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (a book that I very much adore) .   It's hard to make it as a writer, so when people saw how well her parable of futuristic teen angst and bloodshed did, they understandably thought Aha!  Here is the formula for success!!   And ten seconds later, the front display tables of every Barnes and Nobles' across the country were weighted down with hardcovers fea

Lessons to be Learned From the Princess Sara Crewe

          Have any of you read  A Little Princess  by Frances Hodgson Burnett?  It was the book that made me love books.  (Does every book-lover have one of those?  Do you?)  I first read it when I was very little and have spent the last two days rereading it, as I tend to do every few years.             But the thing that struck me about the story this time around is that the story's preteen heroine, Sara Crewe, seems to have life completely figured out.  Even when she loses both her father and her fortune and is working as a hated scullery maid at her London boarding school to pay off her debts, she never sacrifices her virtues of benevolence, hope, and grace.  Her secret is that she considers herself a princess in spirit, even when she is no longer as wealthy and privileged as one.  Sadly, I have not yet gotten my life philosophies together and lack Sara's ability to gracefully accept whatever life throws at me.  So, in order to stop feeling inferior, I have compiled a l