Skip to main content

Snazzy Extra Uses for Books

     I've been a ferocious reader for over ten years now (exactly eleven in two months!!), and in my time as such I have learned a great deal about books besides the fact that they transport you to mystical places and are NOT MEANT TO BE READ ON TECHNOLOGICAL DEVICES.  No, there is much more to books than that, my friends.  For example, they have many excellent uses outside that may be less obvious to a  person who does not tote a book about with her wherever she goes.  Here are a few examples.
All these lovely books have lots of potential uses,
so don't just let them sit around gathering dust!
1.  They can be weaponized.   There is nothing unethical about this.  I am a small and innocuous/innocent-looking fifteen-year-old girl.  I am not a master of martial arts or kickboxing or even old-fashioned girl street-fighting.  I need to be able to defend myself, dammit!!!  So whenever someone gets too close, I whip out the book that they probably just interrupted me with and whack them repeatedly on the head with it. REPEATEDLY.  This practice is super-effective.

2. They can be an excuse.  
"Oh heyyyyyyyyyyyy therrrrrrrrrrrre, how weird is it seeing youuuuuuuuuu on the subway!!!!!!"
"Oh, hi."
"What are you reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeading?!"
"You know, it's just this book for school that I really have to finish by tomorrow.  Sorry!"
Smile apologetically, snap your head down and don't look up again until one of you hops off the train.

3.  They can be umbrellas.  If you're having a remarkable and rare good hair day, and it starts to drizzle, and the book you have on hand at that moment happens to be a sturdy hardcover with a laminated dustjacket, then I believe it is appropriate to flip that book open and hold it over your head, thus preventing the deflation of your hair and causing minimal damage to your book.

4. They can be furniture.  In Inkheart by Cornelia Funke, Meg and her dad seem to have no bookshelves, just stacks of books all over the house.  If I was them, I would put those stacks to use as side tables!  Stools!  Footrests!  Shelving units!  Who needs stacks of $$ when you have stacks of knowledge??  And most of all, who needs Ikea when you have books???

5.  They can make friends for you.  ALLLLLLL of my friends have read The Hunger Games.  Or almost all of them.  So there must be some truth to this.


               -Carly

Comments

  1. Rofl, this post made me lol :D I use most of my textbooks for murdering bugs, I think this goes to the "weaponizing" category :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha <3 Ahhh, love this. The first one made me think of the Bourne Supremacy (I think that was one) where Jason the lead character gives some bad guy a total beat down with a book. Hehe.

    - Anna

    www.melodicthriftychic.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for talking to me!! I wish you lots of good books and brownies!

Popular posts from this blog

Best Reading from my First Semester

Ok, my only excuse for this long-ass hiatus is that I started college, and what with exams, essays, friends, newfound independence, and minor dramas, I nearly forgot I had a blog until this week.
But I'm back now, and here to tell you about the best books and stories I read during my last semester.

Novels
1. Citizen: An American Epic by Claudia Ward - A multi-media masterpiece about modern racism, with a particular focus on microaggressions.
2. Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward - The story of a young girl coming of age in an impoverished area of Mississippi, on the brink of one of the great natural disasters of the last decade.
3. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison - A classic allegory of the racial justice movement in America.
4. Beloved by Toni Morrison - Possibly my favorite book ever, Beloved is based on the story of Margaret Garner, a woman who escaped slavery with her children and, when recapture seemed inevitable, killed her children to their being returned to slavery.
Shor…

Book Review: The Spanish American Short Story, edited by Seymour Menton

I love the cover of this book.  Look closely - it's a little skeleton man clasping his hands over a cup of black coffee.  I don't know what it means, but it's delightful.      Anyway, I read this collection of short stories in Spanish - El cuento hispanoamericano - for a class I am taking this semester, but it is also available in English.  According to my professor, it's a unique book in that it offers the best representation of Latin American short stories throughout modern history, with details about literary movements and authors as well.  I liked some stories better than others - "The Tree" by Maria Luisa Bombal and "The Ruby" by Ruben Dario were my favorites - but even the ones I disliked, such as "Secret Love" by Manuel Payno, were included because they were representative of a certain movement or regional style that was worth acknowledging.        My only issue with this book is that a story I just mentioned, "The Tree,&…

Book Review: Che by Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colon

I'm back with another graphic novel!  And this one isn't about zombies - it's about Ernesto Guevara de la Serna, better known as Che Guevara.  This beautiful, color-illustrated comic book is a biography of the revolutionary figure, from the famous motorcycle trip he took through Argentina partway through medical school, to his success as an Argentinean communist fighting for Fidel Castro in Cuba, to his capture by government soldiers while aiding rebels in Bolivia, and subsequent execution without trial.
     A good fourteen pages of the novel are spent describing in brief the history of every country in South America.  I admit that I found this section boring at first.  But honestly I benefited from it, first of all because in high school I learned very little about South American history.  World Wars I and II got a lot of attention in my history classes, but the revolutions of Latin American countries did not.  So this book gave me a crash course.  Second of all, t…