Skip to main content

Book Review: Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi

The book + my favorite reading chair
     Reading this book made me remember all the thousands of reasons why I love to read.
     It is a memoir, but it could also double as Sparknotes - if Sparknotes were about 1000 times more tantalizing and thought-provoking - for classic novels such as Daisy Miller by Henry James, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, and, yes, Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov.  This makes sense because, in this memoir, author Nafisi chooses to remember a book club she created and nurtured during the early years of the Islamic Republic in Tehran, Iran, after quitting her second university job since the Revolution.  In case you didn't know - and my own knowledge of this time period was embarrassingly sparse before I read this book - Iran became a theocracy in 1979 after religious leaders overthrew and ushered out the old Shah monarchy.  Many Iranians hoped that the new government would be an improvement over the old because the Ayatollah, their new leader, promised to preserve their culture and prevent Western countries from intruding.  But in time, even the most insistent supporters became disillusioned with the Islamic Republic.  
     In starting her girls-only book club, which was composed of her most promising former students, Nafisi rebels against two of the Republic's most senseless institutions: its oppression of women and its condemnation of "immoral" literature.  (Most good, layered literature is immoral literature, apparently - if a book mentions sexuality or alcohol, or explores Western/American ideals, or in any way questions the Islamic Republic's simplistic values, it is banned from school curriculums and probably from book shops as well.)   Curled into Nafisi's living room chairs, drinking Turkish coffee and discussing banned novels, the women of her literary group are free to think, to breathe, to discover who they want to be, and to free themselves of the Republic's conception of who they should be.  
     Living under a despotic government affects the women of this book in ways I could never have imagined.  Nafisi struggles to balance her desire to go on living with her desire to symbolically flip off the Republic.  Is it better to withdraw from an oppressive society or comply with it in the hopes of making a change?  How much can you allow yourself to compromise, morally, in order to survive? Meanwhile her students, who barely remember a time before the Islamic Republic, are unsure as to what roles religion, love, sex, family, and work should play in their lives.  One woman feels that the regime has robbed her of her religion, even though her sect is in power, because wearing a chador is no longer a symbol of her beliefs and devotion to God - it is required.  I won't describe the students in any further detail, though, because Nafisi's portraits of each "girl," as she calls them, are one of the best parts of this book and I'm not going to spoil that.
     This review has turned into an enraptured rant.  Why do I always do this??  I can't help it - good books make me emotional :P  This memoir is about how something as private and small as reading novels can be rebellion in its purest form, and if you read it, you'll have wild, complicated thoughts for days.

     - Carly

Comments

  1. Carly - I love your review. Is the book free for me to read.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for talking to me!! I wish you lots of good books and brownies!

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons to be Learned From the Princess Sara Crewe

          Have any of you read  A Little Princess  by Frances Hodgson Burnett?  It was the book that made me love books.  (Does every book-lover have one of those?  Do you?)  I first read it when I was very little and have spent the last two days rereading it, as I tend to do every few years.             But the thing that struck me about the story this time around is that the story's preteen heroine, Sara Crewe, seems to have life completely figured out.  Even when she loses both her father and her fortune and is working as a hated scullery maid at her London boarding school to pay off her debts, she never sacrifices her virtues of benevolence, hope, and grace.  Her secret is that she considers herself a princess in spirit, even when she is no longer as wealthy and privileged as one.  Sadly, I have not yet gotten my life philosophies together and lack Sara's ability to gracefully accept whatever life throws at me.  So, in order to stop feeling inferior, I have compiled a l

My Irrelevant Opinion on Teen Dystopias

     I read books indiscriminately.  I am just as happy reading  Beowulf, a crusty old Scandinavian epic poem, as I am reading  The Fault in Our Stars  by John Green.  So I'm not a snob who only reads first-edition classics bound in leather or anything like that.  But I do have one requirement when it comes to the books I read and recommend, and that is that they be good .  And I do see a problem emerging in one of YA's most popular new genres, the teen dystopian novel, and that is that many of these books are not good.      The dystopia craze started, I believe, with the success of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (a book that I very much adore) .   It's hard to make it as a writer, so when people saw how well her parable of futuristic teen angst and bloodshed did, they understandably thought Aha!  Here is the formula for success!!   And ten seconds later, the front display tables of every Barnes and Nobles' across the country were weighted down with hardcovers fea

Junkie Metaphors and Books About Our Inner Crazy

    So, recently I was doing a spot of (mandatory) community service for my gym teacher when I experienced a rare instance of karmic payoff.      Me and a bunch of other temporary bond-slaves were unloading this huge file cabinet onto the gym floor, sorting everything from Dance Revolution DVDs to pamphlets on Your First Visit to the Ob-Gyn! into neat piles, when I uncovered quite by chance a crumbling copy of Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs.  Elated, I carried it around for the remainder of the period until my teacher took pity on me and offered to let me borrow it. It's falling apart before my very eyes I swear...      I fell in love with this book the moment I heard its title quite a while ago - Naked Lunch ?  What the hell kind of weird awesome twisted name is that?  I am only now realizing how twisted it really is.  The book is a compilation of notes that Burroughs took while under the sick influence of heroin.  It is rife with disgusting sex scenes and metaphors for