Skip to main content

Book Review: The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout, ph.d.

Who is the devil you know?  Dun dun dun
     If 1 in every 25 Americans is a sociopath, as this book suggests, then there must be five sociopaths in my grade alone.  My friends and I have our suspicions, but it's probably best not to tell y'all until we've concluded our investigations.   
     In all seriousness, this book was fascinating.  I learned why sociopaths thrive in Western countries, and that there are different kinds of sociopaths - some are violent, some are slick and charming, some are confrontational, some are driven by jealousy.  The writer, Martha Stout, is a clinical psychologist, and she intersperses true stories of sociopaths, probably first narrated to her by her clients, with chapters of data and reasoning, which was a great way to build the book because if a text doesn't tell me a story, I get bored (unless it's phenomenally written, of course).
     I have only two problems with the book.  One is the writing style, which is fine but not beautiful.  Understandably, the author's point in writing the book was to spread her knowledge and prevent more people from being hurt by sociopaths, and not to wow us with her command of the English language.  The other thing that bugged me was that it seemed dramaticized. As I read the book, I could picture the sociopaths of the world prowling around the good law-abiding blameless people of the world - the reader among them, of course.  The message is that you, the reader, are the good guy (how flattering!), and you're up against a bad guy who is barely human (how frightening!).  
     I don't think that it is that simple; everyone is flawed, and I felt as though the book were trying to draw a black-and-white, sociopaths vs. good people picture of society.  That is a dangerous thing to do.  I would have been delighted if there had been a chapter on the possibility of developing medication for sociopathy.  Is that even possible?  I hope so.  I think most of the bad things that happen spring from mental illness, combined with human beings' tendency to behave like lemmings. I don't believe in EVIL.
     THAT SAID, I don't want to discourage anyone from reading the book because it was really interesting.  I enjoyed reading it (the dramatization probably helped with that :P).  Most people believe that 'evil' is a fundamental part of human nature, but Stout's idea - that there are just a few bad apples spoiling the fundamentally good barrel of humanity - is an interesting and reassuring possibility.  Who can say what evil is, and where it comes from, and who has it?

     - Carly

Comments

  1. I was wondering about this book and from the reviews of other people it strike me as a dumb read. Sociopaths aren't necessarily evil, most of the time they're not. Just because your empathy is lower, doesn't mean you will go and hurt people intentionally. It just means you're not as emotionally connected as others. The whole word "sociopath" has become such a negative term, I think its silly and unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I'll put this on my reading list. I've always said that it is more difficult to be moral than to be immoral. In my view, doing the right thing takes more courage than operating in the shadows and reveling in all things nefarious. I believe it is easier to take than to give without the expectation of receiving anything in return. Morality requires discipline. It's a daily struggle. So, I have always thought that we are wicked by nature and that one of our many goals in life is to aspire to be better than we are.

    - Anna

    www.melodicthriftychic.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for talking to me!! I wish you lots of good books and brownies!

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons to be Learned From the Princess Sara Crewe

          Have any of you read  A Little Princess  by Frances Hodgson Burnett?  It was the book that made me love books.  (Does every book-lover have one of those?  Do you?)  I first read it when I was very little and have spent the last two days rereading it, as I tend to do every few years.             But the thing that struck me about the story this time around is that the story's preteen heroine, Sara Crewe, seems to have life completely figured out.  Even when she loses both her father and her fortune and is working as a hated scullery maid at her London boarding school to pay off her debts, she never sacrifices her virtues of benevolence, hope, and grace.  Her secret is that she considers herself a princess in spirit, even when she is no longer as wealthy and privileged as one.  Sadly, I have not yet gotten my life philosophies together and lack Sara's ability to gracefully accept whatever life throws at me.  So, in order to stop feeling inferior, I have compiled a l

Junkie Metaphors and Books About Our Inner Crazy

    So, recently I was doing a spot of (mandatory) community service for my gym teacher when I experienced a rare instance of karmic payoff.      Me and a bunch of other temporary bond-slaves were unloading this huge file cabinet onto the gym floor, sorting everything from Dance Revolution DVDs to pamphlets on Your First Visit to the Ob-Gyn! into neat piles, when I uncovered quite by chance a crumbling copy of Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs.  Elated, I carried it around for the remainder of the period until my teacher took pity on me and offered to let me borrow it. It's falling apart before my very eyes I swear...      I fell in love with this book the moment I heard its title quite a while ago - Naked Lunch ?  What the hell kind of weird awesome twisted name is that?  I am only now realizing how twisted it really is.  The book is a compilation of notes that Burroughs took while under the sick influence of heroin.  It is rife with disgusting sex scenes and metaphors for

My Irrelevant Opinion on Teen Dystopias

     I read books indiscriminately.  I am just as happy reading  Beowulf, a crusty old Scandinavian epic poem, as I am reading  The Fault in Our Stars  by John Green.  So I'm not a snob who only reads first-edition classics bound in leather or anything like that.  But I do have one requirement when it comes to the books I read and recommend, and that is that they be good .  And I do see a problem emerging in one of YA's most popular new genres, the teen dystopian novel, and that is that many of these books are not good.      The dystopia craze started, I believe, with the success of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (a book that I very much adore) .   It's hard to make it as a writer, so when people saw how well her parable of futuristic teen angst and bloodshed did, they understandably thought Aha!  Here is the formula for success!!   And ten seconds later, the front display tables of every Barnes and Nobles' across the country were weighted down with hardcovers fea